Putting high demand on any device or system is more commonly known as load testing. Performing a load test will determine if a system will behave both normally and abnormally under stress.
A load test also identifies each system’s or device’s operating capacity when apps are pushed to their limit. Thus determining any element’s degradation. When a load is placed beyond normal usage, it tests a system’s response to increased loads. This is what we refer to as a stress test. Loads are so high that one expects errors to occur. But unfortunately there is no clear distinction of when a load test ends and a stress test begins.
Not much agreement can be made on a load test’s goals. All that is known is that a load test is a specific technique that measures the stimulation a single system receives from multiple system users. This becomes beneficial to a company that wants to obtain software with multi-users in mind.
Another load testing benefit includes the ability to test from the perspective of your customer. With customers spread all over the web, using a testing network called “last mile” allows you to gain perspective. But, because the capabilities are limited to test labs, SaaS providers only offer load testing to specific geographical areas. This is one thing that loadview-testing.com does when they test your site from multiple locations around the world.
More load testing benefits include but are not limited to:
- Risk of downtime is reduced tremendously
- Quality of deployment is improved
- Customer satisfaction is increased
- Developers receive statistics that are very tangible
- Benchmarks are created in the SDLC
- Your app’s scalability is improved
- Risk of poor performance is minimized (click here to learn about how that can be minimized by faster web hosting)
- Failure costs are extremely low
- Funds for marketing are maximized
- Costs for software optimization using metrics that are accurate are optimized
- SLA risk is reduced
- Process improvements are continuously maintained by tuning
- Executives are given KPIs to utilize resource
- System failure that requires scrapping is eliminated
- System deployment that is late because of bad performance is eliminated
- Avoidable bad performance caused by system rework is eliminated